Thursday 2 May 2013

Storks in the News II

Carlos (3V+) on his nest near Alvito. I suspect he is on eggs as no chicks heads were seen




 Breeding season is well under way here in Portugal. Many storks have chicks, particularly in the north of the country, whilst the chicks are slightly younger in the south and many birds there are still on eggs. (I am still trying to figure out the reason behind this trend for earlier breeding in the north). I will be uploading photos of chicks of various ages just as soon as I have had a chance to sort through them all!

High winds and a sudden drop in temperature for a few days last week have caused havoc in some regions, particularly the Algarve. I was contacted with concern from Portimao where apparently nests have been blown to pieces and chicks left exposed. I shall be back there in a few days to check on the damage for myself. The nests in this area are part of my study and they were doing so well when I visited at the end of April!

The storks are well loved here in Portugal and the plight of the chicks has touched peoples hearts. The Portugal News, Portugal's largest English language newspaper, is running a story and asked for my comments. Portuguese readers look our for that article!

Nest on the Spanish border blown down by recent high winds



1 comment:

  1. Read the resulting news article in The Portugal News online:

    http://theportugalnews.com/news/stork-nest-calamity-leads-to-fascinating-finds/28370

    ReplyDelete